Tuesday, January 10, 2012

What an approximate cost for a circision on an 8 month old? This will include anesthesia and a room.?

Before everyone posts answers on here chastising me for circising my son please read this all. I am not doing it for cosmetic or religious reasons. I would not be having it done if not for a medical need. He has a condition in which he has a tight chordae and phimosis. According to the urologist if this is not fixed, his will be pulled downward and his urethra could be closed off leaving him unable to urinate. I know that there is large debate over infant phimosis because it is often incorrectly diagnosed but he said that my son definitely has it and that it does exist. The fact that it has been misdiagnosed so often leads to people who do not know the facts thinking that there is no such thing. If you have heard that please be aware that this is a textbook case of phimosis diagnosed by the best pediatric urologist that I could find. I am wondering about the cost because my insurance company will not pay anything so I am stuck with paying for this surgery out of pocket. My insurance would have paid for it if we had it done immediately but since this will take place after his initial discharge they don't care that it is medically necessary. That is messed up in my opinion - they would have paid for his circision when it was a cosmetic or religious choice but they won't pay for a medically necessary procedure. And here I thought I had HEALTH insurance! I must have something posing as health insurance that bases coverage on age rather than necessity. Anyhow my son will be put under general anesthesia and will have to stay in the hospital for about 4 hours thereafter. The urologist said his part would be around $500.00. Does anyone know (ballpark) what a room for a half a day and general anesthesia would cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment